A home is more than four walls and a roof. It’s a place where families gather and grow, a place with laughter and tears, a place full of stories and memories. It’s a place where life happens.
The truth: 28% are homeless due to job loss, 23% are homeless because of the high cost of living, and 20% are homeless as the result of a bad relationship or family breakup.
For many varied reasons, families and individuals in Colorado find themselves homeless, whether for a night, a year, or longer, and they need a safe and stable place home to rebuild their lives. Life-changing events that may lead to homelessness include:
- Job loss
- Foreclosure or bankruptcy
- Domestic violence
- Illness, disability or death of a spouse
- Medical expenses for self, spouse or children
- Crisis pregnancy
- Abandoned or neglected youth
- Natural disaster
- Immigrant families seeking asylum